Monday, January 23, 2012

TGFG'S! (Thank God for Grandmas!)

So over the weekend K's mom took the boys. They LOVE going there and I know she really enjoys having them (as does the rest of K's family). I got to enjoy some "Mandi" time..you know that time where you are YOU...not MOM, you're finally just...a person, not a Mom? I really enjoy that time, and frankly, I freaking need it.

I'm not trying to complain and say I have the hardest job in the world, but being a Mom can be very draining, and I think we all need time to charge our batteries and be GLAD our kids are around- instead of trying to get rid of them for JUST 5 MINUTES PLEASE!!!! (Umm, did that sound desperate?)

You may think, hmm Mandi, you are sitting here typing this blog- you must have found 5 minutes to yourself, BUT, you would be wrong. J is down for a nap, but M is sitting at the kitchen table with me, watching Pooh Bear and asking for a snack, a drink or a hug every 5 minutes. I'm also folding laundry, running the dishwasher, on the phone, and cooking dinner in the crock pot at this very moment.

Mom's don't get 5 minutes to ourselves, we go to the bathroom- it's a conference! "Mom, what you doing? Are you going pee? Are you going poop? Can I have a fruit snack? MOOOOOOOOOMMMM, I REAALLLLY want to take a bath!!!! Mom, hurry I need to potty! I can't use the other bathroom!"

Yeah...and that bath you BEG your Significant other to let you have...yeah in 5 seconds there's little fingers wiggling under the door and a muffled voice saying "Mooooooom! What are you doing? I'm hungry! I need a drink! I need to pee!" You get the picture, right?


Sometimes I believe being a Mom can be the MOST THANKLESS job in the world, but it's also the most gratifying thing I've ever done. I love when I hear my 3yo count to 10, or identify a letter/number, sing a song, learn a new word or ask a new question (the other day he asked, "Mom, what's in between mean?") I know I've TAUGHT him something, I've passed along the (tiny bit of) knowledge I possess. I've made a difference.

That to me is rewarding. The hugs, the smiles, the kisses, the pictures, the "I Love You Too Mom" (which M says REGARDLESS of whether you said it first or not), hearing them laugh and play...makes all the sleep deprivation and no "bubble" worth it all.

But THANK GOD for people that are willing to step in and help you get a few minutes so you don't completely lose your mind! I missed my kids last night when I crawled into bed, and couldn't wait to get them this morning, and that's the way I want to keep it, which is why if their Grandma wants them- she can have them! (...at least for a day or two, then I want them back!)

No comments: